An interview with undergraduate student Vivian Akyirem

Student Stories

Vivian Akyirem is an undergraduate sophomore pursing her Marketing and Brand Management degree at Northeastern and a recipient of an Athletic Scholarship. Vivian is a football (soccer) player and a graduate of the Right to Dream Academy in Ghana which she joined at age 9.  Her journey brought her from Ghana to the US and the Boston campus.

1. What has your experience been so far at Northeastern and the United States?  

I like the scholarship because it gives me the opportunity to get access to good education and sports. Combining education with sports is tough and takes most of my time.  Unfortunately, I have less time to explore the city and visit great places, but I will. I enjoy been in the football team and follows my parents advise that education is important, and it is a lifelong key to success that is it is important to have both.

2. How has Northeastern impacted you?

I grew up in Ghana in a rural area. Coming to the Unites States and studying at Northeastern has given me the opportunity to interact with new people and learn different cultures outside mine. All my teammates and friend groups are from different part of the world which is very nice.

3. Tell me more about your life in Ghana

I grew up in Kumasi and I am the youngest in a family of seven. I have three sisters and a brother.  I joined the Right to Dream Academy at the age of nine through a scholarship and studied for five years.  It gave me the opportunity to travel around to play soccer which I love.

4. Have you met with any challenges while studying at NU?  

No academic challenges but I had an upsetting encounter during my freshman year.  My team went to another State for a game and someone from the other team used the N word against me.  Thankfully my team mates all came to my support, along with supervisors and staff. The situation was quickly resolved. Apart from that it has been a nice journey so far.

5. How has the scholarship supported you?

Without the scholarship I would not be at Northeastern today and afford this kind of education. It has given me access to a very good academic experience and in a great, supportive environment. It is a great experience and good opportunity to have. I am grateful for the scholarship; I am thankful and do not regret anything.

6. What are your plans for the future?

I want to engage in business in the future. That is why when I heard about D’Amore-McKim School of Business and co – op opportunities at Northeastern I was very interested in applying. Now I also have the opportunity to play my favorite sport.  

7. How do you feel about your immersion to the US culture and environment?  

I don’t feel immersed yet, as I was not born here. Sometimes I feel I am not safe here, but the opportunity is great and better than schooling in Africa, but I plan to go back to Africa and do things for my people. I have a project, I am trying to raise funds, like a give- back to my community. I plan to choose a school and supply them school and sports equipment. Especially the schools or parents that cannot afford it for their children or kids. 

8. What are three personal trivia we should know about you?

Food? Certainly Banku and Okra soup and I love fufu. My favorite music is Wizkid and Burnaboy. Lastly, favorite place in Boston is the Seaport Area. I simply love the restaurants. I also love using the T!

9. What is your message to students from Africa applying to Northeastern?

Make sure you utilize your opportunities given to you well and in the right way.

More Stories

The Global Work Citizen program connects Huskies to African partners for the second straight year

Employer Engagement and Career Design in collaboration with Global Co-op Faculty run the brand-new Global Work Citizen summer badge program. This immersive month-long virtual program was designed especially for first year learners. It aimed to introduce Huskies to global partners early in their university journey and encourage students to cultivate a global mindset during and beyond their time at Northeastern.

‘We are in a war for this planet’

“Where is the lawyer? Where is the lawyer?” a swarm of men shouted at the car. Alfred Brownell, the lawyer, was identified. The men began beating the car, rocking it, trying to smash the windows.

The immunization effect in Africa

Mass immunization programs for diseases such as measles, cholera, and yellow fever have been suspended during the pandemic, leaving as many as 117 million children without vaccines this year, says Richard Wamai, an associate professor who studies neglected tropical diseases.

Voices of Northeastern: Ted Landsmark

“We need to recognize that we’re at a point in history where we can make change,” says Ted Landsmark, distinguished professor of public policy and urban affairs and director of the Dukakis Center for Urban and Regional Policy.

She’s exploring the African American experience through history

For the past 10 years, Patricia Davis has studied how African Americans have chronicled their lives before, during, and immediately after the Civil War. In particular, she’s analyzed how black history museums have memorialized the experience of African Americans from the late 18th century to the late 19th century.